Nineveh Presbyterian Church

    PO Box 115     Nineveh     New York     13813

 

A short history of our Church

 

 

1831 A meeting was held on October 22, 1831, in the Nineveh school house, to organize a church under the supervision of Reverend Ira Smith. Subsequently, a meeting house was erected for worship services. After a period of time, the Chenango Presbytery helped the thirty-five members enter the Presbyterian Church.
   
1850 Construction of our current church was started in 1849 and the building was dedicated on January 23, 1850. At that time, the meeting house became a parsonage. Eventually, a new parsonage (manse) was built next to the current parish hall. This manse was sold in 1935 during hard financial times.
   
1870 A refurnishing and enlargement effort began in 1870 with rededication on January 18, 1871.
   
1909 Our stain glass windows were installed.
   
1965 Full basement was added with Sunday School rooms.
   
1970s Improvement projects included: painting, new sanctuary lights, refurbished pews, and aluminum siding.
   
1990 Our pipe organ was installed and dedicated.
   
1991 The elevator was installed to provide better access for senior or disabled members and visitors.
   
1996 Our adjoining parish house was built. This 70' x 62' structure has a large kitchen, and rooms in the full basement for Sunday School and Conference Meetings.
   
1998 The main entrance of the sanctuary was redesigned and updated with a new large parking lot added at the left of the main entrance.
   
2008 Construction begins on addition for the NPC Christian Education Center and was finished in April 2009
   
2010 New wheelchair ramp is constructed in November 2010
   
2012 New roof for sanctuary and renovation/siding of steeple - August 2012

 

Visit our stained glass window gallery

NPC Web Page Management Documentation

Draft of proposed privacy policy for our web page

 

Return to Christian Endeavor